Thursday, January 6, 2011

You can't clean the floor with a dirty mop!

Happy New Year, 2011!
My family and I just returned from a week-long vacation in Florida. Lots of sun, lots of vacation and lots of indulgence! This of course, was Christmas #2. And really, despite my profession and level of training I usually loosen my clean habits quite a bit after Thanksgiving. This year was quite loose. Maybe it was the huge release after my nuptuals at the end of the September.

Regardless of the intricate rationale, my body has certainly had enough and I am ready to return to my natural, clean roots. I decided to eat an elimination diet for two weeks followed by a longer abstinance of all that haunts me: chocolate, gum and even dried mangoes. The next few weeks will also include, more meditation, yoga, journaling and reflection. Less media, input, and inflammation.

And in no small order, my husband has decided to join me.
I cannot articulate how eager I am to get started. I'm not worried too much except maybe a bit about the no gum part...I am sure that all the artificial sweeteners in the gum that I chew has added up and poisoned by brain (so that's what's wrong!!!). Also, I will miss the coffee first thing in the morning.

But it's not about what I'm taking away. It's what I'll gain: energy, insight and more love and compassion for my physical self. We should all treat ourselves to the highest qualities we can.

Alright, didn't do so well getting to bed early...progress not perfection I suppose. And now a word from the Title sponsor...

This is the husband...and I quote...

"Counter any symptoms of comfort-food withdrawal with creative snacks. Try 'baklava oatmeal'. "
Um, no, I'm not going to try that...I like Baklava and I kinda like oatmeal...but never in my wildest "creative snack" would I put those two together...

By the way I've chewed tobacco for 16.5 years and while its been on and off since 2008, we all know its been more on. So its been a week (cause I'm good like that) and the cravings are just hitting. And now no sugar. Or Beer. Or coffee. At least there's almond milk! (which IS GREAT. If you're not off the dairy, you're missing it)

So enjoy my tobacco-induced comfort-food withdrawal over the next couple of weeks and if anyone has any ideas on "creative snacks", please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment