Monday, August 1, 2011

Sometimes it Hurts but I Just Keep Running

My husband and I went to the Laurel Highlands yesterday.  It was beautiful.  We wanted to spend some time outdoors, which we both love.  He spent a few hours fly fishing and I spent a few hours on a long run.  I love running long on the Great Allegheny Passage...it's scenic, flat and surrounded by fresh air.

I set out and had a great couple hours.  The only downside of the trail, as opposed to running in the city, is that once you run an hour in one direction you have no other option but to turn around and come back.....there are no short cuts, no different ways of returning.  Every time in this circumstance I always have a bit of apprehension about that second hour.  What if I get dehydrated?  What if my legs give out?

Of course these are real possibilities but I could never run a marathon if I let these fears dictate my running.  Yes I was sore, yes my knees hurt.  And I was certainly thirsty...I only had one bottled water I carried with me.  Unlike the city, there aren't too many (if any) water fountains a long the trail.  But I made it.  I ran the second hour faster than the first.  I ran over 14 miles and felt great for having done so.

During my run I was thinking about my younger years when I really ran competitively.  No one ever taught me to work hard.  I really didn't know how or what that meant.  If I started to feel uncomfortable during training or even during a race I always backed off.  Always.  I suppose I felt that if I pushed it too hard something bad would happen.  Plus I just didn't like to feel uncomfortable.

Really the first time I overcame this was my first marathon a few years back.  Hard work never promises no pain.  But most often there is always a reward of sorts on the other side.  This lesson shows up everywhere in my life these days.  Discomfort means growth in so many circumstances.  All I need is a little faith and support to wait out the discomfort long enough for the miracle.  I am so grateful that I've learned this over the course of my young life.  As long as I respect my body and my spirit, hard work always pays a dividend.

I'll just keep running!

No comments:

Post a Comment