Friday, August 26, 2011

Refreshed and Ready to Go

Ahhh, vacation.  To me, not only a luxury but a necessity.
Today we are returning from a ten-day vacation on Martha's Vineyard.  It was such a wonderful experience: lots of uninterrupted, quality time with my husband and little man; beautiful landscape with miles of green farmland, colorful beach-side cliffs and one of the most beautiful sunsets I've ever seen; the most celebrated, historical (150 years old!) and iconic agricultural fair, a very successful fishing trip; and, as promised, the most spectacular fireworks show on earth.

But the quality of my vacation is not only in the location, duration or itinerary of the trip but in my ability to live in the moment.  When I stay in the moment, time doesn't fly.  When I savor each experience, I have no need to worry or ruminate.  Mindfulness is the best way I know how to give my over-extended brain a break. 

I've had a lot of great workouts on this trip...thanks to the extra hour and a half I get in the morning while the boys sleep in.  I had one long run of about 12 miles from the town where I stayed to the next town up north.  Plenty of ocean and scenery to distract my legs.  I did the same trip on my bike one morning.  A few miles to and from the beach a coupld days rounded out the endurance.  The whole family struggled with a nasty cold so my breathing suffered a lot. 

I visited a local yoga studio, which is always a treat.  I always feel at home and the people are always genuine and friendly.  I spent a few mornings on the mat in our back yard, once with Aidan along side me modifying his own little practice.  I will treasure that morning forever.

And now back to life at home.  I did spend a day or two feeling "in the weeds" but it was all worry and no reality.  My brain is so used to overdrive.  I'm still learning to relax and realize I'm never really behind...well, not as much as I think :)

No comments:

Post a Comment