Thursday, July 28, 2011

So I biked

I woke up very exhausted this morning.  My eyes stung and begged to be closed for just a bit longer.  I am rarely tired in the morning...waking up this way is a very rare occasion. 

Part of my exhaustion was due to the great 8-mile run I had yesterday.  It was a beautiful, sunny but cool morning and I ran from my building downtown across and along the river.  I had no music ( I think my iPod is dying) so it was a nice change.  I had a very long conversation with myself, another rare occasion when I literally talk to myself as if I'm talking to an old friend.  For a long time if I were "talking" to myself internally it usually wasn't nice.  But yesterday was nice.

Anyway...I planned a no-run day.  I also havdn't ridden my bike at all since last week so I planned on commuting to keep the legs loose and save the $12.

As soon as I woke up I immediately thought I was too tired to get on the bike.  I spent the first 20 or 30 minutes of my day deliberating as to whether I should bike or just drive.  I've gotten in the habit of sitting quietly, usually outside next to our garden, and meditating for a few minutes before I jump into the action of my day.  Starting my day off like this has done wonders.  After clearing the cobwebs and breathing fresh air into my body, biking became a good idea once again.

So I biked.  And not only was it a good idea, but I was so energized and livened up by the exercise.  I took my time.  It turned out to be one of the more pleasant 10 miles on my bike that I've ever had.  I got to work and the rest of my day followed suit.

The moral for me: when I don't feel like doing something - and it could be anything - is probably the time when I need to do "it" the most. 

A lot of times I do need a break, a rest or something mindless but most of the time I don't feel like doing something for other reasons such as fear, avoidance, disbelief.  And the miracles happen when I act despite my fear...every....single...time.


No comments:

Post a Comment