Monday, February 11, 2008

My First Baby

The first official love of my life was a small 10 pound chihuahua that I fell in love with a few years ago. He's larger than most chihuahuas but over the past few years has settled into a quite comfortable and appropriate body weight. Well, the funniest thing occured to me last night. Ever since Aidan's been eating finger foods three or four months ago, a new ritual has been created with our beloved animals. As soon as our cat and dog hear the tray click on that high chair, they both come running into the kitchen and patiently wait for the inevitable: the food that Aidan throws onto the floor! Well, just last night I realized that my dog has gained a few and looks quite the jolly chihuahua! Most of his supplemental diet includes toast with butter and any meat bits! Now, I'm certainly not crazy about keeping up his appearance but I know extra weight on an already-small dog is horrible for his health. Unfortuneatly because of his size he hates to be outside now, especially for any extended period time. So this is just another reason I am estatic for spring! Aren't animals great? I never thought I could learn so much from a creature who can't speak (in our language anyway!). Hears to all our pets out there!

1 comment:

  1. I love animals, and I love Bean. I think that dogs and cats are cute when they're a little chunky. You're right though it's not healthy. I don't have to worry about that with Boots she's a healthy kitty, however, maggie is a chubba bubba and I can't help but feed her whatever I am eating. She is starting to breath heavy now though so maybe we can take our dos to the park together.

    ReplyDelete