Thursday, June 23, 2011

A Little Dose of Exercise

Boy am I grateful for exercise.  I was running outside the other day in between clients.  I wasn't having the best day.  At one point I could feel my perspective shift from one direction to the other, which started  a cascade of gratitude for my ability and desire to exercise.

Exercise was literally the first way in which I learned how to "take care" of myself....at least physically.  I always knew that I was doing something good for myself and in some way, it made any particular circumstance better.  I had always had a tendency to build up emotions with no idea of how to filter, channel or deal with them.  I started to learn via exercise.  I learned that exercise was a means of relief.

By now I have learned how to take care of myself in many other ways...mental and emotional.  And trust me, I'm still learning.  But every lesson becomes more clear to me by ways of exercise.  I don't always feel like heading our for a run or going to a yoga class or picking up the weights....but those are the workouts that create the most changes.  It's the same in other areas too.  For many years I avoided any difficult internal work ...I even denied that any work was needed!  Now I have come to sit through the storm and have faith that:

1)  NO emotion or feeling lasts forever.
2)  Discomfort usually means growth (as long as no major harm or injury is occuring).


Oy....always working on something.  Keep calm and carry on! 

No comments:

Post a Comment